Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The End.

So I'm sitting at home for the first time in 4 something months, so sad and so jet-lagged, but I'm back safe and sound in VA. I have had the most amazing semester abroad and cannot wait for the chance to return, which I'd want to be tomorrow. But before I talk about how sad I am, I have to wrap up my last week in CPH and the adventures I had!

So on Friday, Alex and I flew to Denmark from Barcelona for my last week in Copenhagen. We were super duper tired from the day of traveling, we got to the airport way to early and I dragged Alex to all the airport shops to kill the time. Well, he wasn't too happy with me but it stuck it out. I promised Karina and Rasmus I would make my favorite cupcakes so after doing all of our laundry. Then we had a super late dinner with the family and hung out; we sat up chatting until 12! 12 is basically unheard of, Karina poops out way before that unless Peter's around and we're watching a movie. But seriously super rare.

Then Saturday, we had breakfast with Karina to prepare for our trip to Tivoli later that day. Tivoli is the theme park/garden/concert venue in CPH based on Roman gardens. It is super popular especially when its nice out, but it wasn't really nice out. But it was still AMAZING!! I mean awesome minus the crazy weird ride, that made me feel ill, but I was the one that volunteered to go on it, woops. It was awesome and everyone was there, Kara, Taylor, Elena, Katie, Alex, and Kara's friend Gracie. The flowers had bloomed and the building were pretty plus the rides were fun. I made Alex get a Danish hotdog with the hole in the bread  roll that was a must-do Danish experience. Of course it poured while on our last ride and we decided to head home before doing anything else. Alex and I dried ourselves off and went to Dalle Valle, my favorite restaurant in CPH, which has the most amazing entrĂ©e price specials on Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tuesday nights. Thank goodness it was a Saturday and the meals were half price, yay yay yay. I got a delicious salad and Alex got a saffron, beef pasta dish and loved it. After an amazingly delicious dinner, we headed over to Kara/Katie/Elena/Taylor's kolllegium and decided to party. We had champagne and the Eurovision singer contest was on so we watched the end of that, plus the Danes on Katie and Taylor's floor were rocking out to the Backstreet Boys and we had to join. It was a ton of fun; we joked around and it was super duper awesome.



Tivoli Gardens

Kara face.

Backstreet Boys singers


Sunday was another amazing day. We got up a bit late and had Danish danishes and Karina picked Rasmus up at the airport from a trip to Berlin. Alex, Karina, and I then went to Fredriksborg Castle up in Hillerod. It was built by the father of Christian IV as a residence for the Royal family; it's now a museum and there are beautiful Baroque gardens on the grounds. The Danish kings did a lot of castle building in their time, there are so many to see. After the castle, we picked up Rasmus at the house on our way to dinner. We had the most amazing dinner at a little place in a harbor near our house. I had a veal dish with this amazing rhubarb thing with chocolate cake. It want to go back already. We then had a traditional hang out on the couch and watched some tv. I then made Alex watch Jersey shore with me because I needed some trashy American tv, I was wanting America but wanting to stay in CPH at the same time, thus the need for a good laugh. 


Fredriksborg Castle



Baroque Gardens

Monday was another adventurous day. Alex and I ventured into the city or some Cafe Paludan coffee with my friends Laura and Kylie. We were having a sad goodbye get together; however, I ran into them several more times before we really left (Kylie was on my flight). After that we went and got yummy sandwiches, then for a CANAL ride. I hadn't been on one and though it was rainy, it was great to see the sights and the waterways. Also, Alex got a little less of the tour guide Kristina and more of the hang out with friends before you leave kristina, so I wanted him to be able to get all the sights in without spending all day trekking about. This way, many crucial things were hit and our feet weren't dead at the end of the day. After canaling, we met up with Kara and hung about the city until it was dinner time. I didn't want to miss out on any family dinners before I left, they were the best. We would chat for forever at the dinner table, which I feel like we don't do enough of in the States.

Alex in Nyhavn

Canal Tour

Alex at the flat, he came!

Tuesday, the last day=super sad day, but no quite, I had so much planned I couldn't focus on being too sad for too long. I spent the morning packing and trying to find earrings I bought in Venice, which I finally found at like 1 in the morning but they're found. We went to return my books and to see the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace at noon, again I was annoyed because the queen wasn't in, but then again she is a busy lady. After that, we went to lunch and got traditional smorrebrod, I made Alex try the snaps too, which is a traditional Danish shot taken at lunch time. It's gross. My last smorrebrod was delicious, though I really wanted frikadeller. (Then Agnes cupcakes!) Then we attended the DIS closing ceremonies and had some free champagne at the reception afterwards. We then just sat and chatted, we moved over to Paludan before Alex and I went home for dinner. After dinner we met up with the girls at the DIS closing party/rave and got to say goodbye to the all the girls before tucking into bed for Alex's early flight and my not quite as early flight.

We caught them marching to the Royal Palace.

The actual event

Alex and the traditional smorrebrod.

Mocha cupcake and Pistcahio cupcake and Blueberry mini cupcakes!


The famous Cafe Paludan.

My semester in CPH was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. My family was so generous, my classes were new and interesting, and the food and parties were great. Danishes are delicious, liverpaste not so much, but regardless I've tried it all. I've never been quite as adventurous with food as I have been in CPH. I cannot wait to see Karina, Rasmus, and Peter again, hopefully we'll be able to reunion again. (hopefully soon because I'm already missing them dearly). I love the friends I've made; I don't know if renewables would have been any fun without Kara. Basically, I loved it all and thank you CPH for the most amazing spring. I already miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment